ICATS has been providing distance learning courses into the global Aroma Trades (perfumes and flavours) industry for over a decade.
The ICATS Perfumery programme is validated by the International Federation of Essential Oils and Aroma Trades (IFEAT) and the British Society of Perfumers (BSP).
Successful completion leads to the award of the IFEAT Diploma in Aroma Trades Studies.
Perfumery Education at the University of Plymouth, UK
Distance Learning Courses in Perfumery leading to an IFEAT Diploma in Aroma Trades Studies (Fragrances or Flavours)
- A fully flexible open learning programme for participants at any level of the perfumery value chain in any part of the world
- No attendance necessary; assessment by assignment reports & dissertation
- Successful completion leads to the award of the “IFEAT Diploma in Aroma Trades Studies”
- Study the whole course or just some of the modules
- Discount for IFEAT members
- Complete learning pack contains all necessary learning materials (CDs, textbooks, & odour activity kit)
- Open entry for both technical and non-technical applicants
- No prior extensive scientific knowledge required
- Sponsored and supported by IFEAT and the BSP
Distance Learning for the Aroma Trades Industry
In distance learning the normal university approach of lectures, tutorials and workshops are replaced with reading and activities. The approach has proved its worth over 30 years. All the necessary materials are included in the learning pack (ICATS module workbooks on CDs, textbooks, monographs, aroma reference standards, smelling strips and IFEAT expert papers). There is a lot of flexibility. There is no fixed exam at the end of the academic year or fixed hand in dates for assignments. Students can work through the material at their own pace.
Modules are assessed by Tutor marked assignment reports and a final dissertation submitted to the IFEAT External Examiner. Support is provided throughout study by Personal Tutors who are only an email away from students.
The foundation module of this programme covers the basic science and mathematics needed in the Aroma Trades. This provides the necessary underpinning for those without a technical background and a refresher for those with science qualifications.